Cancerous Moles Treatment
Melanoma is the most serious type of skin cancer, impacting melanocytes in the skin and often resulting from cancerous moles. While less common than squamous cell and basal cell carcinomas (SCC and BCC), melanoma is more likely to spread to other areas of the body, making it much more deadly. Like all types of skin cancer, early detection and treatment is the best solution for melanoma. At LM Medical NYC, we offer cancerous moles treatment at our clinic in Manhattan.
Melanoma Warning Signs
Since melanoma is the deadliest and fastest-growing skin cancer, quick detection is vital for effective treatment. While melanoma is often linked to cancerous moles, only 20-30% of melanoma cases are actually from existing moles. The other melanoma lesions can form on normal skin. Checking your skin for early warning signs is crucial – patients who detect melanoma early and receive treatment (removal of the cancerous mole or growth) have a 99% five-year survival rate. Some of the warning signs include the ABCDEs of melanoma:
- A is for Asymmetry: One half of the spot is unlike the other half.
- B is for Border: The spot has an irregular, scalloped or poorly defined border.
- C is for Color: The spot has varying colors from one area to the next, such as shades of tan, brown or black, or areas of white, red or blue.
- D is for Diameter: Melanomas are usually greater than 6 millimeters — or about the size of a pencil eraser — when diagnosed, though they can be smaller.
- E is for Evolving: The spot looks different from the rest or is changing in size, shape or color.
Even if you do not have any other symptoms, see a board certified dermatologist if you notice one of these signs or notice an existing mole start to evolve or change in any way.
These rules can be applied toward any abnormal spot on the skin or changes in an existing mole. If you are concerned about a skin growth, you should schedule an appointment immediately with renowned skin expert Dr. Morgan Rabach, our board certified dermatologist.
If you want to learn more about melanoma prevention and treatment, contact us at LM Medical NYC. We offer melanoma, or cancerous mole, treatment and diagnosis at our state-of-the-art facility in Greenwich Village.